I went to school at the University of Guelph which meant I got to know a lot of agriculture students, many of which are self-proclaimed rednecks. I also grew up in Sudbury. As a result, I could relate when Jeff Foxworthy burst onto the scene in the early nineties with his signature “You Might Be a Redneck” franchise. To this date, I still laugh at them. The latest one I heard was “If you have just been interviewed about the tornado for the fifth time…you might be a redneck.” I appreciate his humour in the sense that, like Jerry Seinfeld, he can make fun of the boring antics of Caucasians through astute observation.
This got me thinking what would happen if Jeff were a hipster. I think he would have a field day with the antics of this outrageous urban subculture. There are definite differences between rednecks and hipsters. For example, ask both what PBR means and one would reference professional bull riding while the other would ask for a beer. I’m not pretending for a second that I’m some hilarious comedian but I do eat out a lot and have been immersed in this culture long enough to make some general observations. So here is my attempt at “you might be a hipster”:
- If you read your tattoos to kill time on the subway…you might be a hipster.
- If your wardrobe is less diverse than Fred Flintstone’s…you might be a hipster.
- If at least one of your T-shirts has a picture of Fred Flintstone…you might be a hipster.
- If your happy hour starts at 10 pm…you might be a hipster.
- If your pre-set iPhone alarm contains nothing with the letters “am” in it…you might be a hipster.
- If your meaning of gelling with someone is comparing the product in your slick backs…you might be a hipster.
- If your primarily using your Bachelor of Arts to sculpt your mustache…you might be a hipster.
- If you live above where you eat…you might be a hipster.
- If you know the difference between crudo and carpaccio but not the difference between walk and don’t walk…you might be a hipster.
- If you can identify Nicaragua, Columbia and Kenya in a cup but not on a map…you might be a hipster.
- If you have “ubered” yourself for a ride home…you might be a hipster.
- If your definition of a car payment is $10 to a food truck…you might be a hipster.
- If you wait longer for a taco than you do a medical procedure…you might be a hipster.
- If you think “gimmie the skinny” means taking off your tie…you might be a hipster.
- If you need to register your beard with animal control on an annual basis…you might be a hipster.
I have no plans to quit my job and join the Plaid Collar Tour anytime soon but hey…it helps ease the pain.